A bristlenose pleco can grow to be around three to five inches in length. However, some aquarists have reported that their bristlenose plecos can grow to up to 6.5 inches. Compared to other types of plecos, some of which can grow to be 20 inches, bristlenose plecos are tiny.
However, if they’re kept in suboptimal conditions with poor care and maintenance, the growth of your bristlenose plecos might get stunted. To prevent this from happening, you need to:
- Provide them with a varied and healthy diet
- Clean the tank at least once a month
- Change 20-50% of the water each week
- Provide them with driftwood
- Provide the tank with a proper filtration system
- Keep the water temperature between 74°F and 80°F (23°C and 26.5°C)