Seeing your fish thriving is important. The right fish food makes for happy fish. Of course, you want your fish to have the best food available. You may find so many choices that you don’t know where to start.
That’s our job. Here are 10 of the best fish foods for you to consider. We want you to have peace of mind that your fish is getting the best inside, as well as out.
|1. Glofish Special Flake Food||Check Price|
|2. New Life Spectrum Marine Fish Formula||Check Price|
|3. Aqueon Tropical Granules||Check Price|
|4. Zoo Med Spirulina 20 Flake Fish Food||Check Price|
|5. Xtreme Aquatic Foods 2146-F Big Fella||Check Price|
|6. Blue Ridge Koi and Goldfish Food||Check Price|
|7. White Crane ADP No.3 Tropical Fish Food for Small Size Fish||Check Price|
|8. Seachem NutriDiet Tropical Flakes||Check Price|
|9. Xtreme Aquatic Foods Cichlid Pee-Wee||Check Price|
|10. Cobalt Aquatics Spirulina Fish Food Flakes with Probiotics||Check Price|
Our Best Fish Food For 2020 Reviews and Comparisons
1. Glofish Special Flake Food
GloFish Special Flake Food is an exclusive formula that is an ideal choice for GloFish fluorescent fish. This colorful 4-flake balanced blend includes customized amino acids to make GloFish brighter.
- Exclusive formula
- Enhances brightness
- Suitable for GloFish and other tropical fish
What We Like About Glofish Special Flake Food
This food keeps fish healthy and energetic, as well as maintaining their beautiful and bright colors. This is suited for tropical and river fish.
When you sprinkle these flakes into the aquarium, don’t be surprised to find them swimming really fast to eat.
If your fish’s colors are wilting, you may find after they begin eating the food that their colors will be restored to its healthier-looking colors.
What We Don’t Like About Glofish Special Flake Food
This product may cloud the tank water, which means changing the water at least on a weekly basis.
The container has been found to be cracked at the bottom and half of the contents were in the delivery bag.
- Good price
- Restore fish’s health and bright colors
- Fish love the food
- Clouds tank water
2. New Life Spectrum Marine Fish Formula
Color enhancement and vitality are the benefits your fish will gain with New Life Spectrum Marine Sinking Pellets. No hormones or artificial color enhancers in this food. Its natural essential elements are the missing equation for most aquariums.
These pellets are formulated to be easy to digest. These slow sinking pellets will not disintegrate and cloud the water.
- Quality natural ingredients
- Extreme color enhancement and vitality in your fish
- Made in the USA
What We Like About New Life Spectrum Marine Fish Formula
The size of the pellets is suited to be eaten by large and small fish alike. This food does not leave an unpleasant odor on your fingers.
Quality food at a good price. Your fish will remain healthy, their colors are bright. The pellets do not cloudy the water. Most fish love this food.
What We Don’t Like About New Life Spectrum Marine Fish Formula
Some find that the small and medium fish spit out the food. They do not soften up much after a few minutes.
They float for a very long time and need to be placed at the bottom by a submerged pinch. When using an auto feeder, due to the residual current the pellets skim the surface and return to the back of the tank.
- Uniform size makes it suited for auto feeder
- Great source of protein
- Does not break apart
- Does not cloudy the water
- Floats, does not sink
- The new size is too big for some fish
- The water gets cloudy
3. Aqueon Tropical Granules
Aqueon’s formula contains premium ingredients to support fish optimal health and vitality. Only natural ingredients and no artificial colors.
The active component is the color designed to bring out the natural colors in your fish.
- Balanced nutrition optimal for daily feeding
- Easy to digest
- Slow-sinking granule
- Will not cloud water
What We Like About Aqueon Tropical Granules
This food is small enough to work with the Eheim auto feeder and no need to open the flap too far.
The fish like this food that will float for a bit, but sinks eventually. This suits an aquarium that contains top, middle, and bottom feeders.
What We Don’t Like About Aqueon Tropical Granules
The granules are too big for adult guppies as well as other fish. Some will float for a few minutes and then sink, while others sink straight to the bottom. They accumulate on the bottom without being eaten.
- Heartier than regular flakes
- Medium and large fish love this food
- More for your money
- Suited for top, middle, and bottom feeders
- Doesn’t float
- Too large for small fish
4. Zoo Med Spirulina 20 Flake Fish Food
Containing 20% Spirulina, blue-green plant plankton rich in raw protein, provides complete high protein for fish, crustaceans, and invertebrates.
This complete nutrition formula also includes seven major vitamins, beta carotene, color-enhancing pigments, a whole range of minerals, all essential fatty acids and the eight amino acids.
- Protein-rich Spirulina
- Ideal for fresh or saltwater fish
- Enhances breeding
What We Like About Zoo Med Spirulina 20 Flake Fish Food
Thanks to the Spirulina, both fresh and saltwater fish experience remarkable growth, maturity, energetic behavior, as well as more elegant coloring. The reproductive processes, including egg production and hatching rates, are improved. Higher survival rates of younger fish and increased appetite are other benefits for fish.
The flakes are quite large and can be smashed a little for small fish, increasing the energy and enhancing the colors of the fish.
What We Don’t Like About Zoo Med Spirulina 20 Flake Fish Food
A significant amount of the flakes arrive crushed even in powder form, instead of large flakes.
It falls to the bottom making the tank cloudy. The broken pieces are so small that some fish don’t even notice them.
- Superior ingredients
- Natural color enhancer
- Made in USA
- Improves overall fish health and reproductive processes
- Creates algae in the tank
- Clogs the filter
5. Xtreme Aquatic Foods 2146-F Big Fella
These slow-sinking 3mm pellets are suited for Krill, Shrimp, Fish, Herring, Squid. Improves breeding, brightens natural colors, and supports optimal health.
- Suits larger aggressive eaters
- Slow sinking
- No preservatives
- No hormones
- Non GMO
What We Like About Xtreme Aquatic Foods 2146-F Big Fella
Food does not cause health issues like bloating or digestive issues. Highly recommended by fish breeders.
It enhances fast growth and brightens colors even faster. This food will not ruin the water clarity.
What We Don’t Like About Xtreme Aquatic Foods 2146-F Big Fella
Pellets do not sink slow, they go straight to the bottom like a rock. Some fish don’t scavenge what lands on the bottom, uneaten food can negatively impact the water balance.
Size is suited for 2 to 4-inch fish. Some pellets may find their way into the filter.
- Less waste in the tank
- Improved color
- Enhances growth
- Highly recommended by professional aquarists
- Pellets sink
- Uneaten pellets affect water balance
6. Blue Ridge Koi and Goldfish Food
America’s leading koi and goldfish breeders recommend Blue Ridge Koi and Goldfish Food, a nutritionally complete diet that supports quick growth and optimal health.
Disease immunity and stress resistance are strengthened with this special formula of vitamins and minerals. Mini pellets are ⅛ inches in diameter.
- Reasonable price for a high-end quality food America’s leading Koi breeders gives their fish.
- Pellets soften quickly which means they are easily digested allowing for quick absorption.
- A special blend of vitamins and minerals which offer the overall promotion of healthy growth.
What We Like About Blue Ridge Koi and Goldfish Food
Containing all the nutrients your fish need, this food strengthens health, which you can see as their colors are brighter and more intense. These pellets are suited for any size koi and goldfish, so you have one food for all.
The pellets remain floating for a long time so your fish will remain interested in feeding.
What We Don’t Like About Blue Ridge Koi and Goldfish Food
This food does not seem to be of the same quality as actual fish hatchery food. It seems to lack the smell of high-quality food.
Fish didn’t seem to like this food. The product clouds the water.
- Ideal for all size koi and goldfish
- Balanced nutritional diet of vitamins and minerals
- Promotes resistance to stress and immunity to disease
- Won’t pollute the water
- Fish do not like the food
- The zippers of the containers do not seal
7. White Crane ADP No.3 Tropical Fish Food for Small Size Fish
ADP No. 3 Tropical Fish Food contains 60% protein, saturated with PSB and spirulina which stimulates fish appetite and supports your fish’s optimal health.
- High concentration of PSB and spirulina.
- Special aquarium fish food improves fish health, including bright color enhancement and overall lifespan.
- Suitable for all kinds of beautiful fish, especially small groups such as Neon fish, Fancy Guppy fish, Angelfish, Betta fish, Goldfish, Aqueon Shrimp, Marine, Catfish, Cichlid, smallmouth fish, and All tropical fish, etc.
- Its Clean and Clear Water Formula means that it will not cause sewage or sediment.
What We Like About White Crane ADP No.3 Tropical Fish Food for Small Size Fish
Nutrients are suitable for fry, improving the lifespan of the fish. Easy on newborn baby fry fish digestive system.
Good quality for the price. The Clean & Clear Water Formula of the insoluble pellets won’t muddy the tank.
What We Don’t Like About White Crane ADP No.3 Tropical Fish Food for Small Size Fish
No negative input
- Protein Rich
- Color Enhancer
- Keeps fish healthy
- Suited for all types of fish
8. Seachem NutriDiet Tropical Flakes – Probiotic Fish Food Formula with GarlicGuard
Seachem’s philosophy is that knowledgeable hobbyist makes the best customer. Their expertise incorporates Chlorella into their food.
Chlorella is a superfood that offers even more than Spirulina when it comes to nutrition potency. The most finicky fish will be drawn to Seachem’s GarlicGuard found in these tropical flakes.
- Contains the highest quality of nutritional ingredients to provide all your tropical fish health needs.
- Natural color enhancer optimizes the potential color of any tropical fish.
- High levels of vitamin C are vital to support the growth and health of aquatic animals, including the formation of connective tissue, scar tissue in wound repair, and bone matrix.
- Probiotics aid in digestion to empower nutrient uptake, minimize waste, and strengthen the immune system function.
What We Like About Seachem NutriDiet Tropical Flakes – Probiotic Fish Food Formula with GarlicGuard
Fortified with GarlicGuard this food boosts immune support in fish. The flakes are somewhat larger but very easily eaten and digested.
Fish are healthier with this food being a staple. Their growth is rapid and the colors are vibrant. The fish are active and full of energy.
Fish eagerly eat it quickly leaving none around. Includes high-quality ingredients packed with vitamins, immune support, and of course probiotics!
What We Don’t Like About Seachem NutriDiet Tropical Flakes – Probiotic Fish Food Formula with GarlicGuard
Some users find their fish do not thrive on this food. Wheat is found as a primary ingredient in this food which is not ideal for fish diets.
- Chlorella algae as the ideal superfood
- Natural color enhancer
- GMO ingredients
- Wheat content is too high
9. Xtreme Aquatic Foods Cichlid Pee-Wee
These slow sinking pellets are easy to digest, contain Spirulina blue-green algae and no hormones. It is suited for krill, shrimp, herring, squid.
These 1-1/2mm pellets are made in the USA and contain no hormones, spirulina blue-green algae, green pea, rice meal, wheat flour, distillers dried grains with solubles and brewers dried yeast.
- All of the nutritional needs for your wild-caught and farm-raised cichlids
- Slow sinking pellets will attract fish during feeding
- No preservatives
- No hormones
What We Like About Xtreme Aquatic Foods Cichlid Pee-Wee
Good quality pellets support your fish health needs. You get your money’s worth.
What We Don’t Like About Xtreme Aquatic Foods Cichlid Pee-Wee
- Does not cloud the water
- Made from quality ingredients
- Preservative free
- Hormone free
- None indicated
10. Cobalt Aquatics Spirulina Fish Food Flakes with Probiotics
Freshwater and marine herbivorous fish will gain many benefits with this dried spirulina algae-based formula as a part of their diet. A highly palatable, and nutritionally balanced food that supports consistent growth and color.
Fish will leave a lot less waste which means you have a cleaner aquarium.
- Complete nutritionally balanced formula that contains a high algae content that enhances your fish’s consistent growth and color.
- Cobalt’s Blue flakes support a healthy digestive and immune system which gives you thriving fish.
- Probiotics in the form of Bacillus sp., something a healthy digestive system needs.
What We Like About Cobalt Aquatics Spirulina Fish Food Flakes with Probiotics
The first consideration for all aquarists is that the fish love this food. You get your money’s worth with the huge container. No need to buy as often, especially if you feed multiple fish tanks.
Fish grow faster and seem to be healthier with Spirulina. Aids in digestion so that the fish produce less waste. Their colors are brighter.
This food is ideal for omnivorous tropical fish diets. It is also an excellent choice for the expensive and diverse saltwater tank.
What We Don’t Like About Cobalt Aquatics Spirulina Fish Food Flakes with Probiotics
This food does not arrive in the expected big flakes. Most of it is almost crumbled powder. The remaining flakes fall apart too easily.
- Complete nutrition for optimal health
- Probiotics to help prevent ailments like Malawi bloat
- Enhances health and color
- Will not cloud water
- Flakes are not as large as expected
- More crumbly powder than flakes
Both White Crane ADP No.3 Tropical Fish Food and Xtreme Aquatic Foods Cichlid Pee-Wee offer what different fish need for optimal health, color enhancement with no downsides when the food is digested by the fish or floating in the tank.
Check thoroughly if one or both products suit your fish. You both deserve the peace of mind that their food is giving all the benefits they should have. Enjoy the results!