The lifespan of a pleco is generally 10 to 15 years. However, this lifespan only applies to plecos that live in captivity. Plecos that live in the wild or a natural setting can live for more than 15 years.
If you want to ensure your pleco lives a long and healthy life, make sure to do these things:
- Give it plenty of space
- Keep the water temperature between 74° F and 80° F (23° C and 26.5° C)
- Only use fine gravel or soft sand as the tank substrate
- Keep driftwood in the tank as a source of food as well as a hiding spot
- Feed it various high-quality foods, such as algae wafers, shrimp pellets, earthworms, bloodworms, brine shrimps, and vegetables
- Feed it one to three times a week at night