You can figure out if your ghost shrimp is dead or molting by checking for the following:
- A molting shrimp will have a very identifiable split running along the back of its shell.
- A molting shrimp will hide, but a dead one can be spotted in the open.
- Before molting, a shrimp will turn milky white in some spots, but the shrimp should still be active.
- A dead shrimp will float to the top of the tank.
- A dead shrimp will appear milky white at first, then turn opaque pink after a while.
If you’ve determined that your ghost shrimp is dead, remove it immediately to prevent fouling the water or spreading disease to other tank inhabitants. If it’s just molting, leave it alone, and it should be fine after a few days.