Siamese algae eaters live for up to ten years. Their relatively long lifespan is because Siamese algae eaters aren’t fussy and can withstand a wide variety of living conditions.
With that said, they still require proper care to thrive fully.
Here are some things you can do to ensure your Siamese algae eaters live long and healthy lives:
- Avoid overcrowding the tank
- Avoid housing them tank mates that are too aggressive and territorial
- Provide plenty of live plants, decorations, and hiding spots in the tank
- Keep a soft, sandy substrate inside the tank
- Keep the water temperature around 72° F and 79° F (22.2° C and 26.1° C)
- Feed them a varied, omnivorous diet once or twice a day
- Keep a lid on top of the tank to prevent them from jumping out