Ghost shrimp live for one year on average. Ghost shrimp are short-lived compared to other invertebrates. With that said, how long your shrimp lives will depend on the individual as well. Some shrimp will only live for a couple of days, but hardy ones can even live for up to two years.
Here are some tips to increase your ghost shrimp’s lifespan:
- Don’t keep them in a tank with hostile predators
- Keep the water temperature warm, at around 65°–80°F (18.3°–26.6°C)
- Do regular water quality checks for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels
- Provide lots of live plants and hiding spaces
- Keep the tank water flowing with a weak current
- Supplement their diet with algae wafers or sinking pellets two to four times a week