The lifespan of a zebra danio is two to five years. However, every individual danio is different and its lifespan depends on the level of care it gets.
To maximize your zebra danio’s lifespan, you need to fulfill all of their needs:
- Maintain the temperature between 64°F and 82°F (17.7°C to 27.7°C)
- Keep the water pH as neutral as possible
- Screen the ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels regularly
- Change 15% of the water once a week
- Clean the tank at least once a month
- Only use fine gravel or sand as the tank’s substrate
- Add various live or silk plants to the tank
- Provide a varied, high-quality diet
- Keep at least five zebra danios together in a 10-gallon tank or bigger.
- Avoid overcrowding the tank