Is it ok to touch goldfish?

Yes, it’s ok to touch goldfish. Despite the myth that goldfish will die after being touched, this is simply not true. As long as you clean your hands before and handle the goldfish gently, your goldfish won’t suddenly die afterward.

With that said, touching your goldfish for too long or too often is still not recommended. When you touch your goldfish, your hands will remove a part of your fish’s protective slime coating.

One of the most important functions of this slime coating is protecting your goldfish from toxins and parasites. The more you touch your goldfish, the more protective coating will be removed, causing your goldfish to be more vulnerable to infections and diseases.