Goldfish can typically live for 10 to 15 years. Certain goldfish varieties can even live for up to 30 years. When taken care of properly, goldfish have long lifespans compared to other freshwater fish.
Unfortunately, because goldfish have a reputation for being disposable pets, most goldfish don’t live for more than a few years.
If you want your goldfish to live long and happy lives, here are some things you need to be aware of:
- Only purchase your goldfish from reputable breeders
- Avoid overcrowding the tank
- Install a proper filtration system in the tank
- Provide adequate lighting
- Clean the tank regularly
- Do a 15% water change every week
- Feed them a high-quality and varied diet, 2–3 times daily
- Avoid housing them with aggressive tank mates