Angelfish live for about ten years. Some angelfish can even live for 15 years if they have a healthy diet and proper tank conditions.
Here are some things you can do to prolong their lifespan:
- Make sure each fish gets at least 10 gallons of water
- Feed them a high protein diet
- Provide them with plants and hiding spaces
- Separate aggressive angelfish
- Avoid housing them with aggressive tankmates
- Maintain their tank regularly
An angelfish’s lifespan depends on its genetics as well. Inbred angelfish with poor genetics usually don’t live for more than five years.
To make sure your fish have a healthy genetic background, avoid buying from pet stores. Instead, try to buy angelfish from a reputable local breeder.