Yes, Java moss removes nitrates from the water. Much like other aquatic plants, Java moss absorbs nitrates and uses them to grow. Thus, it helps maintain the tank’s water parameters and provides a pleasant environment for other tank inhabitants.
However, because Java moss tends to be a slow grower, you can’t fully rely on it to remove nitrates. Here are some additional things you should do to keep nitrate levels down:
- Perform water changes every week
- Vacuum the tank’s gravel regularly
- Avoid overfeeding the tank inhabitants
- Clean and maintain the filtration system
- Clean any detritus that gets trapped under the moss