Yes, African dwarf frogs need a cycled tank. African dwarf frogs are delicate creatures and are extremely sensitive to water quality. If you put African dwarf frogs into an uncycled tank filled with tap water, they might die within a few days.
You should set up your tank and establish the nitrogen cycle at least two weeks before bringing the frogs home.
Here are some things you can do to cycle your African dwarf frog tank:
- Set up the habitat before pouring water into the tank
- Dechlorinate the water by letting it sit for 24 to 48 hours
- Transplant friendly bacteria from a donor tank
- Check the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels every few days for the first 2 to 4 weeks
- Add live aquatic plants to help with the cycle