Yes, platy fish are easy to keep. Hardy and tough, platy fish can tolerate a wide range of water conditions and environments. Platy fish can even withstand two weeks without food.
For these reasons, platies are a great option for beginners who are just starting to learn about fishkeeping.
With that said, optimal care and maintenance will keep your platy fish happier and prolong their lifespans. Here’s what you need to do to keep your platy fish healthy and happy:
- Avoid overcrowding the tank
- Maintain a male to female platies ratio of 2:1
- Maintain the temperature around 70°F to 82°F (21.1°C to 27.7°C)
- Change 25% of the tank water once every two weeks
- Clean the tank regularly
- Provide plenty of plants and hiding places
- Feed them a varied diet with vegetables, flakes, pellets, and freeze-dried foods