No, bettas are not high maintenance. With that said, they still require care and attention like any other pet.
If you want your betta fish to live long and healthy lives, provide them with:
- An appropriately-sized tank for each fish, 5 gallons minimum per fish
- A well-balanced diet of pellets, freeze-dried grubs, and small insects
- Lots of entertainment, including plants, toys, and hiding spots
- Regular water changes, at least twice a week
- Steady water temperature at 75–80 degrees Fahrenheit (23.5-26.5 degrees Celcius)
- Adequate lighting
- A 10-minute play session each day
Additionally, you also need to monitor your betta fish for signs of illnesses and take them to a veterinarian when needed.