Molly fish come from southern North America, Central America, and South America. These fish are generally found in shallow freshwater streams with lots of vegetation.
However, molly fish can also be found in other places, including brackish waters, lakes, estuaries, ponds, swamps, marshes, and even roadside ditches or puddles.
Mollies are considered tropical fish, so a heater is needed to keep their water warm at temperatures around 72°F to 78°F (22.2°C to 25.5°C). This water condition will help them adapt to aquarium life better.
Also, even though these tough fish can survive in almost any condition, you should maintain their tank by:
- Cleaning the tank regularly
- Changing 20% of the water each week
- Providing them with a calm environment
- Providing plenty of decorations, plants, and hiding spots
- Installing a strong filtration system and adequate tank lighting